Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Ou est la gare?

Manet's oh so controversial Dejuner sur l'Herbe. SHOCKING!
Manet's oh so controversial Olympia. INAPPROPRIATE!
I think it's called Le Dance, or something to that effect.
Lolar bear!
Tick tock, huge train clock.
This painting is probably about 20X30 feet. It's HUGE.
This is what the Paris Opera looks like on the inside. Yes, the same opera that that little musical about a phantom is based on.
Right in the ear!


Let me just say that this mouse isn't quite my favorite. Twice now I've been almost done with writing my blog and accidently hit this weird little side button that makes it go back, which wipes my entry. Ah, well, c'est la vie.


Went to the Musee d'Orsay, the train station turned art gallery (quite a French thing to do, really) and it was like walking through a living Art History text book. Almost every time I turned around I spotted something that I had seen before, courtesy of Houghton Mifflin, or Harper Collins, I'm sure. And I just made a joke that probably only teachers will get. Not that I'm pandering to my audience or anything like that. Hehe...

We only got to stay for about an hour or so because the museum closes at the ungodly early hour of 18. Or 6, for those of you on a 12 hour clock. At any rate, we did manage to get quite a bit in. We went through the main statue gallery, with plently of sketching and picture taking, and managed to squeak in a few paintings along the way before we got le boot. I didn't get a chance to see Whistler's Mother, unfortunately. Another art class favorite, that. At any rate, I'm planning on going back tommorow morning for a solo trip (speaking of which, I still need to make a solo expedition to the Louvre as well, time seems to be running out.)

Oh, and lest I come off as some sort of Manet superfan, they really just happened to have some of his better known works present and I couldn't help taking pictures of them when I spotted them. There were a few Monets and Renoirs (and probably pretty much every other impressionist) I skipped over though. There's always tommorow!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Your teacher joke, were those the names of text book companies?

Anonymous said...

I never knew that Musee' d'Orsay was located in an old depot--how cool! and yes, the French would think of that! HAHA on your HM/teacher joke--you're right we all got it! Hope you post some more pics from there. That is one place I WILL go to on my next visit! I can't believe that you're coming home in just about a week's time! YAY!! We've missed you so much around here that we've almost forgotten about you! (haha--you know I'm jk!)