Thursday, June 19, 2008

Oranges

Uh... it's Degas I'm pretty sure. I saw waaay too many impressionists today...
Picasso used cubism to hide the fact that he failed at human anatomy. At least that's what I'd like to think.
All the different patterns on this are just different types of marble.
Vincent van something or other. Some no-name impressionist wannabe, I guess.
Whistler's Mother. It's alot bigger than I thought it would be.


Went to the Orangerie today. It used to be used as a greenhouse for growing oranges (which were very hard to come by, otherwise) and has been turned into an Art Museum. The French, what can I say? They recycle everything. It only took me about 30 minutes to go through the Orangerie, and I took my time. It's noted for having Monet's ginourmous water lily paintings, and I saw those first, of course. They are big, and fairly sloppy, but you can't really blame the guy, he was going blind at the time he painted those. I was really surprised at how quickly I went through the place. Even though the building is obviously not that large from the outside, I still didn't expect to go through it as fast as I did. I even took my time.

After my experience in the old Orange place, I went back to d'Orsay. I'm so happy that I did. I went to the top floor and worked my way down, which really is the best way to go. Don't be lured by the pretty statues when you first walk in! Take the stairs hidden in the corners! The impressionist stuff was all upstairs and that means only one thing... it was crowded. I saw some cool paintings, Lautrec, Van Gogh, Degas, and all those guys. I took about 100 pictures today so you get a small taste. A very small taste. A nibble, a crumb, even.

I got in a few sketches and saw some great early photography. Like, 150 year old pictures and they have a huge section of daguerreotypes, or however you spell that. They're on metal and they look really neat. Olde tyme type photographs, if you know what I mean. I went to pick up Marsh from school, getting there a good 10 minutes early, as I hoped to be. That just proves that I really can successfully use public transportation and estimate time in doing so. At least when there isn't a protest going on. And here, there is almost always a protest of some sort happening.

I think that's all I have to say for tonight. I just got done watching 4 episodes of Lost with Rob and Kristen and it's 1 am, much to my surprise. I'll post some more pictures or something tommorow, perhaps.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, wow, and WOW! Do you have any idea as to the headstart you have on half the art world at this point? No one but those Houghton Mifflin peeps have seen as many famous artworks as you have in the past few weeks. You are sooooo gonna be the teacher's per when you return to classes in the fall!

Jen said...

I always ask this, but was Lost dubbed in french when u watched it? The French do like to recycle their buildings!