Tuesday, June 3, 2008

DID YOU KNOW THAT...

About 90% of all computer problems can be solved by simply restarting the machine?


...NOW YOU KNOW

Lol, take that Satan.
It's easy to take pictures of statues, they hold still for you so nicely.
Oh, hi there, It's Our Lady of Paris! A taste of the Louvre for you. The blurry glass is a bummer though.
Place de la Concord? More like Place de la Gilded Tourist Attractions.


Alright, I'm silly. The tour of Montmarte is tommorow, but I do intend to go on that one as well. Today was a 4 hour tour of the center of the city with lots of nice little history lessons in between. I managed to get Doreen and myself successfully through the subway both going to the hostel and coming home, which was good. I'm not getting lost which makes me much more confident in my navigational skills. Anyway, we started out at Place St. Micheal, then meandered over to Notre Dame, all the time aware of gypsies and hagglers along the way. If a woman walks up to you in a tourist spot and asks if the speak English, keep walking. It's a gypsy, and not the nice type, the type that takes your wallet with wiley gypsy magic. Or it might be a lost Anglophone, but rather safe than sorry, I guess.

After Notre Dame, we hiked over the Seine and saw the oldest bridge in Paris while getting some history lessons, then went through the courtyards of the Louvre (which is closed on Tuesdays, so it was pretty empty and that was cool.) And just so you all know, I took about 80 pictures today but blogger only lets me post 5 at a time, maximum, so you get the better of the best or something like that. Moving on, we went walked around the Louvre (the outside, that is) and got lunch at a nice little sandwich shop. Then we went to the Tuleries and walked around some, I plan on going back soon and just checking out the statuary, you have but a small taste of it in my pictures and I require more. I was identifing various mythological figures along the way and quite a few escaped my knowledge, much to my consternation.

After the Tuleries, we went to Place de la Concord, where they beheaded people during the Revolution, fun! Saw the Eiffel Tower, but I didn't take any more pictures of it there. I'll get around to that steel thing eventually. After the Place, we went to see the Grand and Petite Palais..es... Palaises... er... anyway. They were built for one of the World's Fairs and were pretty flippin' awesome. The Petit Palais is having a Goya exhibit which I might just have to check out. And the Orangerie... and the Musee d'Orsay... and the Louvre.. and the... oh I need to make a list I guess at this point. Aaaand then the tour was over and we came home. I'm planning on going on the Montmarte tour tommorow and checking out the haunts of the Impressionists and some of Those Other Artist Guys From The Early 1900's. Busy busy busy...

A CARTE ORANGE IS A MULTIPASS AND IT IS AMAZING AND SOON TO NO LONGER EXIST BUY A NAVIGO TODAY!

2 comments:

Jen said...

I'm so glad you didn't get lost! That kinda suprises me since you and I got lost in Harrisonburg not that long ago! :P I Love all the pics!! It's amazing how many awesome things you get to see in a day!

Anne said...

Yay for pics back on here!!! And double yay for pics of stuff I can't see at King's Dominion :)

Anne