Thursday, June 26, 2008

C'est fin

It's like a dream come true! At least for a bio-nerd.
Baleeeeeeeeeeeeen
Looks like a frickin' Pokemon or something. Silly ancient form of armadillo.
From the RER window. The RER is like the Metro, but on steroids.


Well, today was my last day here. We leave tommorow and I'm all packed and set to go. I have my passport and ticket and all that cool jazz. As much as I do want to go home now, I am going to miss it here. I had a great time living with the Ketrons for 6 weeks and I know that I'll miss them. They're pretty much like extended family. I mean, Marsh and Nathan are sort of like my other little brothers or something. Anyway, enough of the much, I'll tell you what I did today.


We went to Jardin des Plantes, which has a ton of museums in it. Kristen and Marsh went to the newer natural history museum while Nathan and I went to the old one. The place looked like a storehouse for a university comparative anatomy department from the 1800's or something. Half the skeletons all had handwritten labels and there were so many specimens that there is no way anyone who works there knows where everything is. They had everything from frogs to whales and even a few malformed things in jars. Cyclops kittens and two headed pig babies, that sort of thing. The place was almost deserted too, which made it better. Creepier, I guess, but easier to see what I was looking at. I'm pretty sure I probably could have swiped something because the one guard wasn't paying attention at all. Getting it past customs would be another matter entirely, though...

They also had dinosaurs and other fossils upstairs! I think that the scariest part was going up those stairs. They really didn't look safe. I'm sure that they haven't been inspected for safety since the 1920's. I ended up taking about 70 pictures of bones and dead things in jars. Mr. Poster would be proud.

Let's see, we took the RER back, which was much better than the 3 buses it took to get us there in the first place. Had dinner in Periere. I had snails again. I would have had my staple of soup de poisson, but they were out. Then we went to the Monoprix nearby and did some last minute shopping. I got some nutella and sirop de menthe, and some sweets for friends and family. I'm really bad at buying souvenirs. Really bad.

At any rate, ta-ta! I might post something tommorow for an epilogue. We'll see how I do with the 8 hour plane ride and all that.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Yay! HannaH is coming home! Have a good flight!!

Anne said...

I can't believe it's already been 6 weeks! I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed your blog :) It's awesome - you should continue with it - I think you'd make reading about your everyday life sound quite interesting to the rest of us!!!

Welcome home Hannah!

Love,
Anne