Sunday, June 8, 2008

Montmarte at last

It was sunny today!!
It's called a Diablo Menthe. I need to buy mint sirop now.
HIPPO!
Who doesn't love a flamenco guitarist?
I don't need to tell you what that is.


Finally! We got to go to Montmarte. We took the metro to the bottom of the hill and climbed up the many many many staircases to Sacre Coeur at the summit of Paris. The view is amazing, as it always has been. I only have pictures of the outside of the church because you're not supposed to take pictures on the inside. It was hard to obey that rule, the inside of the church is really something to see. Mom, I was thinking maybe I'd get your Saint Medallion blessed at a cathedral here, but had no idea how to go about that, so I dipped it in some holy water at Sacre Coeur, I figured it would count for something.

After that, we got some lunch and we all had crepes and I got a Diablo Menthe, or a Mint Devil/Devil Mint. It's basically just mint syrup in fizzy water but it was so good. I'm going to be smuggling sirop de menthe and nutella back home it seems... We went through the artist's square and there was art there, go figure. I got a scarf and some art nouveau prints, and I also petted a chat noir! The only cat that I've seen in the whole city, Parisians seem to all be dog lovers. We went by a Dali exhibition that I might just have to check out, and by might just I mean will.

We went down and saw the wall of love that has "I love you" written on it in every single language, even sign language and cuneiform were present. I stopped to listen to some Flamenco Guitar, that was played by that rather attractive gentleman I took a picture of above. There was quite a crowd around him too, it's been a long time since I've heard a guitar played that well. We stood across the street from the Moulin Rouge, which is really nothing but a tourist destination at this point. I think I heard more English today than I have in a very long time.

Tomorrow, the Louvre!

4 comments:

Anne said...

The guitarist looks a bit like one of the many faces of Johnny Depp, at least from this angle. I would have stopped to watch him even if he wasn't playing the guitar :)

Jen said...

At first i thought that green syrup was absinthe!! Especially since you were at the Moulin Rouge. I thought the Moulin Rouge would look different than that, but I guess things don't look like they do in the movies! That guitarest did kinda look like Johnny Depp!! Lol!

Anonymous said...

Awwww! How cool is that? I think a dip in some Sacre` Couer water most def. counts for something--I'm touched (in my heart--not just my head!). Funny! I took that same angle shot of the cathedral. Oh, btw--a friend of mine on Redskinsheads said you can get Nutella here in the states. I told him you like that type of international intrigue... Sorry we haven't commented much lately but the internets has been stoopid. I think I finally got everything ironed out between dealing with both Linksys and Shentel back and forth and simulataneously. 92% of your tech problems can be solved by asking to speak to a senior tech or manager---don't let it drag on for over an hour. If the tech can't help you in 20 mins.-- he doesn't know jack--move up the ladder!

Hanaconda said...

Jenny: Haha, I wouldn't mind trying some absinthe while I'm here. It seems like I'll have to go somewhere special to get it though, it hasn't been on any of the menus I've seen. Yeah, the Moulin Rouge doesn't look anything like the one in the movie, at least not now.

Mom: Ugh, if I was at home I could probably fix the internet for you. Having to jump between tech supports isn't efficient or good for your stress levels. I MUST HAVE NUTELLA, the only thing is that I'm pretty sure it costs alot more at home because they have to import it.