Monday, May 19, 2008

A lovely trip to the park

im in ur Gualle, buildan mah columms
Graffiti... and the French!
I don't know what these are but they are pretty.
im still in ur Gualle, buildan mah columms


I went out all by myself today! For the first time. It really wasn't that hard. Luckily in cities people avoid talking to each other so that whole 'language barrier' thing didn't come up. I took a walk down to Parc Monceau, which is right at the end of the street (I can see the entrance from my balcony.) After passing the trial of the locked front door (the first of 3 locked door trials I have faced today) I made my way to the park. Apparently, street lights don't mean anything in Paris. The only thing I was afraid of was being bumped into by a SmartCar.
There were some SCENE (inside joke) kids blocking the entrance, which greatly amused me. I wish I'd gotten a picture of them, but by the time I noticed that they were in fact French Scene kids, taking pictures would have been awkward and slightly creepy. The park was beautiful, as you can see in the pictures. It was filled with hoardes of teeny tiny children. And the pigeons... in the way that the Valley back home has herds of livestock, Paris has pigeons. Docile, semi-feral creatures flourishing off of the scraps of humankind, with nothing but their dulled instinct and knowledge of city existance to sustain them. I want to catch one and keep it as a pet.
We had duck for dinner! This meat is magnificent! Why have I never eaten it before?! There must be something magical that they do to the vegetables here as well. I willingly ate brocolli AND enjoyed it. I had seconds in fact. HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN??

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ize on yer blog, commentin on yer stuffs...What did I tell you about needing your ninja instincts?? The French pay no attention to shaving or deodorant conventions--why would they care about traffic lights?? NINJA!! You've never had duck?? You goose!! Don't even think you're coming back here and getting anymore of that! Must hear more about the trial of the Locked Doors....just hope you were on the right side of them!
MUAH!

Jen said...

France is beautiful! I want to know more about the locked doors, too! And what is a SmartCar?

Hanaconda said...

Ok ok, You all know how inept I am at doing simple things. Yesterday, I couldn't figure out how to open the front door to the apartment building. The Guardienne came out and told me that I had to push this certain button to get the door open from the inside. After that, when I came home from the park, I couldn't get the key to the family's apartment to work right. It took me a good five minutes of turning it and pushing on the door before the thing would finally open. Later, in the family room right before I was going to go to beed, I couldn't figure out how to open that door either until Rob showed me. That was the trial of the Locked Doors.

Jenny, SmartCars are these ity bity little toy car things (at least they look like toys) that almost everyone in Europe has. I'll take a picture of one if I go out later today.